I mean, they are! We have been searching for them for ages and can't find any apart from ones from the US and way up north (I live in London). I mean, compare the bichon frise to a maltese! Basically the same dog only with different hair-dos! Yet bichon frises are everywhere and are about £350, wheras malteses are NOwhere, and cost approx £1500!!!
Any dog people know why? I want a maltese more than a bichon frise!!!!!
(I prefer their hair-dos which is why lol)
Here, in the USA, Maltese are expensive, but you can usually find one. They are so expensive because most Maltese females have to have a vet deliver the puppies by
C- section. That procedure alone is a very expensive operation. Also Maltese do very poorly with anesthesia, so
they usually require a longer stay at the vet hospital than other dogs who have c sections. For this reason, most maltese females are only physically capable of having 1 litter in their life time. Usually there are only 3 or 4 puppies per litter, sometimes just 2 puppies.
Most breeders are very selective about who they allow to purchase these special puppies. The biggest majority
of breeders are going to be looking for the following
qualities in a buyer before they approve one.
2. Stable home enviornment. (Good job, owns home or pays a mortgage, plans to live in area a long time.)
3. Has owned or does own another adult dog.
4. Has superb vet references regarding care provided to that dog.
5. Has fenced back yard.
6. If they have young children, are the children well behaved and under control. If not, the dog usually won't be…so no sale.
7. Is the house neat and reasonably clean ?
8. Non smokers are preferable, as small dogs especially develop lung problems around cigarrette smoke.
Hope this helps.